By Sharon Mosley, CNS
Think you have to have a big budget to get big style? Think again. This fall, major mass retailers are bringing in top celebrities and designers to give fashion followers a big bang for their buck. Yes, you do have to do your homework and visit the store’s websites to know when and where these designer collections will launch. You may even need to visit a store out of town to score a deal if the collection is really “hot.” But when you do manage to buy a high-fashion trend for a low price, it’s worth it.
Here are a few of my favorite “budget busters” in stores now:
• Missoni for Target: A huge launch a few weeks ago that shut down Target’s website and flooded stores with customers proved that the iconic Italian designs were a big hit at bargain prices. The video commercial from the Milan-based company is worth checking out online — and yes, there are a few Missoni treasures still available, but you’ll have to be quick to pick up these great deals.
• Sofia Vergara for K-Mart: The sexy star of ABC’s award-winning sitcom, “Modern Family” has a great collection of clothes at K-Mart arriving just in time for fall and the upcoming holiday season. Her figure-hugging dresses and skirts are steal deals. Watch for K-Mart’s “Money Can’t Buy Style” campaign featuring 20 “real” people putting their own individual spin on clothes available at K-Mart.
• The Kardashian Kollection at Sears: Another major launch this fall is the Kardashian boutique at select Sears’ stores. The famous sisters, Kim, Kourtney and Khloe turn their love of fashion into affordable stylish clothes and accessories. The shoes and boots are my favorites — all priced below $60.
• Jennifer Lopez at Kohl’s: Old Hollywood glamour comes to Kohl’s this fall with Jennifer Lopez’s take on a star-quality lifestyle — complete with faux fur vests, cocoon cardigan coats and suede platform pumps. The vintage-inspired Hollywood bedding collections are big hits, too.
• Norma Kamali for Wal-Mart: The New York designer has been doing great pieces for Wal-Mart for several years now, but her unique style continues to be one of the best bargains in the store. Kamali’s famous signature jersey dresses and tunics are steals at under $20. And if you can’t find Kamali in your local Wal-Mart, check her clothes out online.
• Versace at H&M: Watch for the November debut of Donatella Versace’s collection at H&M. The colorful clothes that the Italian house of Versace is traditionally known for promise to be one of H&M’s biggest designer collaborations yet. And if you don’t get in on the fall collection, watch for yet another Versace collection available in H&M stores in early spring of 2012.