It’s time to get hot and look cool in summer’s latest style trends. Whether you’re attending a class reunion, going to a backyard barbecue or getting away for a weekend, there are plenty of new ways to put some heat into your wardrobe without going broke. Here are 10 fashion favorites for summer 2011:
• One: Bright colors. What better way to celebrate a new season than to put on some color! The neons are making news in hot pink and lime green. Taxicab yellow is another way to shout summer with a juicy spritz of color. Summer is the perfect time to get your color on with screaming accessories or a new pair of “look-at-me” jeans.
• Two: Sculpted wedges. Save the flip-flops for the pool. Platform shoes are a great way to spring into warm weather. You can dress up any summer outfit just by changing into one pair of these statement-making sandals. Just remember that pedicured toes make all the difference.
• Three: Nail polish. A simple way to get instant style this summer. Choose a color that’s dramatic, such as the new denim polish from essie or a gunmetal silver like the one from Sally Hansen. Keep the costs down by doing your own manicure on Sunday afternoon, and you’ll be set for a week of barefootin’ down the beach.
• Four: Round sunglasses. Channel John Lennon and his round glasses only this time around, they are bigger and better in sunglasses.
• Five: Jumpsuits. Yes, they’re back in a big way. Think Bianca Jagger and think sexy and silky. It’s the perfect way, if you dare, to dress up for a class reunion, even if you do remember wearing jumpsuits back in the ‘70s.
• Six: Palazzo pants. Another favorite from the past, these flowing wide-legged pants were a hit on the spring and summer fashion runways; they are one of the best ways to keep cool this summer. Just team the soft pants with a skinny tank top or fitted sweater to balance out the fuller silhouette on the bottom.
• Seven: Dressy shorts. Shorts rise to a new level this season, and if you’ve got the legs for them, then the new styles will give you lots of options. The softer, skirt-like looks may even be appropriate for some work environments when paired with tailored jackets. Just make sure that they’re not too short or tight.
• Eight: Polka dots and stripes. Summer wouldn’t be summer without a few of these peppy prints poking out of your closet, now would it? Polka dots are sprinkled over everything from giant totes to sundresses. And natty nautical stripes are the perfect way to top off any skirts, shorts or Capri pants.
• Nine: Neutral suits. Yes, some of us do have to work in the summer. And it can be a problem trying to keep cool but look professional. But this year, designers have turned up with sharply tailored suits and dresses in pale neutral colors that make getting dressed for the office a refreshing change of pace.
• Ten: The long Boho dress. Summer is a time to relax … at least a little bit. Here is an option that will make lounging by the pool a treat. These long dresses — especially the strapless versions — make great swimsuit cover-ups as well as casually elegant party dresses.
Empire waist styles will flatter most body types. Stick to small all-over prints or solids for a more sophisticated style that won’t overwhelm you. Now, it’s time to have that mojito.