When the sun starts shining and the shopping days grow longer, it’s tempting to throw all our winter weary wardrobes out the window and go on a serious spending spree. But before you max out the credit cards, there are a few things you might NOT want to spend your money on this spring:
• Anything too tight. Yes, you do need to try on items before buying them. This season the stores are flooded with the trendy “slim” leggings and jeans. Even if you’re used to wearing a certain size in your favorite label, the new skinny proportions may not be so flattering or so comfortable.
• Too much jewelry. The big bling is indeed the thing this year, but when you wear the bold necklace, the jeweled cuff AND the huge cocktail ring, you’re way over the top. Stick to one major piece.
• The big black handbag. This may have been your “go-to” bag in the past, but it’s time to trade up to a colorful tote. Spring is the perfect time to go for the big blue bag or get a little wild with an animal print satchel or go romantic with a floral tote.
• Vampy nails. Lighten up those dark blood-red nails for spring. Go for a juicy coral or romantic lilac polish. Or think pink in all its rosy hues.
• A boring blazer. You may be tempted to buy this classic staple, but rethink the status of your wardrobe before plunking down more money on another shapeless jacket. Instead, invest in another modern classic: the military-inspired jacket. In long or short versions, especially in fun anorak silhouettes, these jackets will give your casual and work wardrobe a shot of instant fashion authority, especially in olive drab green.
• Plain Jane pumps. It’s time to stand out … and step out in some not-so-serious shoes, girls. Check out the bright colors, the wedges, the jewels, the baubles and bows. There’s no excuse to not put your best foot forward this spring.
• Head-to-toe denim. You already knew this, right? Ralph Lauren may have a fetish for distressed overalls this spring, but most of us non-model types may have a hard time carrying this look off the farm. Instead, try a button-front denim skirt.
• Dark pants. Yes, we all need a trusty pair of black pants and dark blue jeans, but when warm weather rolls around, leave these items off your shopping list. Instead, add a new neutral, like khaki chinos or white denim capris, to lighten things up. Then you can really spice things up with a colorful top or jacket.